Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians Declares State of Emergency (2013 04 03 LDF Press Release LDF State of Emergency re Synthetic and Illegal Drugs FINAL).
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin – The Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians Tribal Council declared a State of Emergency on March 29, 2013 as it relates to the threat of synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones and other illegal drugs affecting the Reservation and Tribal Members. Due to the rising popularity and proliferation of synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones and other illegal drugs within the Tribal Nation and surrounding community, the Tribal Council is taking decisive action against the new wave of drugs commonly referred to as K2, Spice, Potpourri, Bath Salts and Plant Food. The Tribal Council recognizes that Indian Country cannot remain idle when national reports and scientific information repeatedly publish that many first-time and repeat users are under the misconception that synthetic cannabinoids and synthetic cathinones are legal and/or safe when, in fact, they are not. Common side effects from a single use of synthetic cannabinoids include: hallucinations, panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia, agitation, extreme anger, seizure, tremors, kidney failure, liver failure, increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure, stroke, coma, and death. Due to the great irreparable harm and permanent effects that can result from using synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones and other illegal drugs, the Tribal Council is committing the necessary Tribal resources to rid the Reservation and the surrounding community of this catastrophic menace that will not only entail swift prosecution but will also include a Tribal campaign focused on prevention and a committed Tribal effort to provide extensive rehabilitation services. The Tribal Council remains firm that every Tribal department will partake in the war against synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones and other illegal drugs. As detailed in the Tribal Council Resolution, the Lac du Flambeau Tribe is dedicated to following extensive and comprehensive changes to return the Tribal Nation to the teachings of our ancestors:
- Restructuring the Tribal Code to criminalize synthetic cannabinoids and synthetic cathinones;
- Working with federal, local and state governments to ensure offenders are prosecuted;
- Treatment and rehabilitation for those who have become addicted to synthetic cannabinoids and synthetic cathinones;
- Revising the Tribal Housing Regulations and Policies to implement drug tests for tenants;
- Banishment, Disenrollment and/or Forfeiture of Per Capita payments for those caught using, selling and/or manufacturing synthetic cannabinoids and synthetic cathinones;
- Review of current and future grant funding specific to substance abuse prevention and intervention to specifically target this developing problem;
- Mobilize existing “community-based” task forces to participate in door to door distribution of prevention materials and begin community education; and,
- Introduction of an educational campaign in community schools and youth programs.